10th Workshop on the Physics
of Dusty Plasmas
St. Thomas, USVI - June 18 - 21, 2003
For general information about the Virgin
Islands use THIS link.
Traveling to the US Virgin Islands is done by
air. The most common routes are:
- A direct flight to St. Thomas from the US
- Major US airlines including Delta,
American, Continental and US Airways have direct flights to St.
- Connecting cities include Atlanta, New
York City, Miami, Newark, and Raliegh-Durham
- A flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico, then a
commuter flight to St. Thomas
- Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are separated
by less than 100 mi (160 km).
- The commuter flights between the two
islands is often less than 30 minutes.
- San Juan has one of major international
airports in the Caribbean basin.
- Direct flights from Europe and the US
mainland are available on over a dozen airlines.
In either case, it is best to book your flight
early to get the best airfare possible.
to the Virgin Islands
Entering the USVI is equivalent to arriving at
any other location in the United States.
English is the official language, but Spanish is widely spoken,
especially on St. Croix.
- Entry / Exit: Persons will have to clear US Customs and
Immigration upon departure, so a valid passport is required for
non-US residents and recommended for US residents.
The USVI is a duty free port. US residents can bring up to 5
liters of spirits and up to $1,200 of purchases back to the US
- Taxis are available at the airport for
transporting people to hotels. Rates are fixed and posted on the
inside of taxicabs.
NEW - Link to Taxi
Rates between different island spots
(hotels, airports, beaches, etc.)
Link to Ferry
Rates for travel between the
different US and British Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Croix,
Tortola, Virgin Gorda)
There is also a Water Taxi that runs between Frenchman's Reef
Hotel and the Downtown area of St. Thomas.
- Rental Cars:
- Major rental car companies are located
at the St. Thomas airport (Hertz, Avis, and Budget)
- IMPORTANT: In the Virgin Islands you drive on the LEFT side of the road -
please consider this before renting a vehicle.
Please check with this website regularly
over the next several months for additional